Why We Love Southport & Its Beach
14-Jun-2018 by Lisa Bradburn
Trying to find ways to occupy the children at the weekend or during the holidays can be tricky. Either they lose interest within 10 minutes or the activity costs an absolute bomb. There are lots and lots of places to visit from the park to the zoo to a theme park and the farm but one of my favourite, and free, places to visit is the beach! Across the UK there are so many beautiful beaches to choose from but my favourite has to be Southport Beach, up here, in the North West, and here’s why?
- Southport beach is my home town. So straight away I love this place. I grew up here and lived in a little village called Ainsdale for 22 years! My family and my husband’s family are both from Southport so not only do we love visiting the beach but it’s also great because we can visit family and friends.
- Southport is your typical beach/sea side resort and to me that’s very special. I love wandering the streets buying a few cheap buckets and spades and letting the kids choose some sweets (they love the rock of course). I love how over the years the area has remained the same and that the seaside stores are still in business and that some of the big commercial stores haven’t caused the prices of items to rise dramatically.
- Down on the beach front, the view is just incredible! A beautiful long stretch of golden sand and the sound of the waves – I could stand there for hours. If I look out to sea and turn to my right, I adore being able to see the Blackpool Tower! You can’t beat a good beach view and at sunset it is just magnificent.
- When playing on the beach the kids love to make sand castles or sand angels! The sand is great for this! As a family we also love playing a game of football, cricket or rounders. There’s lots of space, which is one of the reasons I prefer it to a bay or a cove! This means that we are never in someone else’s space and don’t need to worry about anyone else. The beauty really is, the massive long stretch of beach, on this part of the coast line.
- And my final reason for loving Southport beach is the donkey rides. For just £2 the kids can pick from a group of donkeys and enjoy riding them along the beach! This little activity brings great excitement and the kids absolutely love it!
So there you have it, the reasons why I love Southport and its beach! If you’re planning a trip to the beach and you live in the North West then I’d thoroughly recommend Southport!
As much as I love Southport, I’m also very eager to explore other coastal areas so if you have any recommendations please let me know.